The centre is proud to have received certification by a UCAS accredited body in relation to the ISO 14001:2015 standard for “Development and asset management of a retail property” in 2017.
In 2017 Affinity Devon achieved an 84% recycling rate at the Centre against a target of 82%. The waste streams recycled included the following; cardboard, polythene, coat hangers, paper, plastic, polystyrene, wooden pallets, metals/tin, food waste and coffee grounds, customer returned/damaged stock etc. We hope to achieve a target of 86% in 2018.
During 2017 we made a saving of 3% in electricity usage against a target of 2%. We hope to reduce electricity usage a further 5% in 2018.
In 2017 the Centre collected 12,680 litres of rainwater; which was used to treat the flowering planters and landscaping areas that need watering along with external cleaning tasks which reduces the use of mains water. This harvesting activity is in line with our water saving strategy. In 2018 we will continue to work with staff, retailers and visitors by encourage further water saving initiatives.
This year we aim to maintain the high-level wastage recycling rates that were achieved in 2017 by continuing to work with the retailers and suppliers. We will also engage with customers to support recycling at the Centre by introducing initiatives around the centre.
We will continue to work with shop fitters and suppliers to improve the ethical procurement and best business practice initiatives for both utility usage and recycling initiatives.
Our Aim for 2018:
– Share our goals and objectives with our contractors and suppliers and where possible work with them to use products which are from a sustainable source. This will enable us to work in a way that has a lesser impact on the environment
– Work hard to continue to be certified by a UCAS accredited body in relation to the ISO 14001:2015 standard during 2018.
– Continue to communicate our goals and achievements with staff, retailers and visitors.
– Actively encourage ideas from staff, contractors, and suppliers to further care for our environment and our impact on the carbon footprint.
– Continue to monitor energy and water meter readings in all common areas of the Centre and work closely with all retailers to ensure they adopt best practice for usage.